Living in a dorm can be a wonderful experience: you learn independence, responsibility, and you create much stronger relationships with your peers. One negative that comes to mind from my experiences of dorm life was just how quickly illness managed to spread. One person on the hall has a cold or the flu and suddenly half the hall is sick! But there are things you can do that can help prevent germs from spreading so rampantly. With it being flu season, try to keep these tips in mind and hopefully you can keep it from spreading:
- Wash your hands often and keep sanitizer handy.
- Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing. It’s best to do it into your elbow rather than a tissue.
- Keep handy Lysol or Clorox (or other antibacterial) wipes or sprays so you can clean off door handles and hard surfaces regularly.
- Help boost your immune system by taking vitamins, and eating and drinking other good natural sources of vitamin C.
- Get a flu shot!
- Get plenty of rest; your body can ward off viruses much better when its well rested
- Avoid touching your face, your hands spread can germs to your face and mucus membranes.
Stay healthy this fall and winter!