Ways to Give


Please use our online giving form. At this time, we accept all valid credit cards. A monthly recurring gift is a terrific way to make a larger gift with smaller installments throughout the year!


Please call 540-636-5485 to speak with the Advancement Team.



Please make checks payable to Randolph-Macon Academy and send to:

Randolph-Macon Academy
Office of Advancement
200 Academy Drive
Front Royal, VA 22630


To make a pledge, please contact the Office of Advancement at 540-636-5485 or at advancement@rma.edu.

Corporate Match

Many employers match charitable gifts made by employees and their spouses. A corporate match might be a great way to double, even triple your gift to Randolph-Macon Academy. Please contact your Human Resources Department for information and procedures. 


Accepted with prior approval. Randolph-Macon Academy will provide a letter of acknowledgment describing your gift but cannot assign a value to the gift. 

We recommend that you consult your tax advisor for valuation advice. Donors seeking tax deductions for gifts valued in excess of $5,000 must obtain an independent appraisal at the time the gift is given to Randolph-Macon Academy. The donor is responsible for all costs related to this appraisal. For more information, contact the Office of Advancement at 540-636-5485 or at advancement@rma.edu.


Securities and mutual funds that have increased in value and been held for more than one year are one of the most popular assets to use when making a gift to R-MA. Making a gift of securities or mutual funds to R-MA offers you the chance to support the Academy while realizing important benefits for yourself.

When you give appreciated securities or mutual funds you have held for more than one year to R-MA, you can reduce or even eliminate federal capital gains tax on the transfer. You may also be entitled to a federal income tax charitable deduction based on the fair market value of the securities at the time of transfer.

If you would like to make a gift of securities to R-MA, please click here for transfer instructions.

Securities that have decreased in value do not make tax-advantaged gifts. Consider selling the security, claiming the capital loss deduction, and giving the proceeds as a gift to R-MA.

Securities are most often used to support the Academy in the form of:

  • An outright gift: When you donate securities to R-MA, you receive the same income tax savings that you would if you wrote the Academy a check, but with the added benefit of eliminating capital gains taxes on the transfer, which can be as high as 20%. Making a gift of securities to support the Academy is as easy as instructing your broker to transfer the shares, or, if you have physical securities, hand-delivering or mailing the certificates to Randolph-Macon Academy in separate envelopes. (Using separate envelopes safeguards your gift – the certificates will not be negotiable without the stock power.)

  • A transfer on death (TOD) account: By placing a TOD designation on your brokerage or investment account, that account will be paid over to one or more persons or charities after your lifetime. It is not necessary for the TOD designation to transfer all of the account solely to charity—you can designate a certain percentage of the account. With a TOD account, the beneficiary you name has no rights to the funds until after your lifetime. Until that time, you are free to use the money in the brokerage account, to change the beneficiary or to close the account. Please note: State laws govern payable on death accounts. You should consult with your bank representative or investment adviser if you are considering this gift.

  • A gift in your will or living trust: If you aren’t ready to give up these assets during your lifetime, a gift of securities through your will or living trust allows you the flexibility to change your mind at any time. You can continue to receive dividends and participate in shareholder votes, and the securities are still yours if you need them for other expenses. Use our sample gift language to ensure that your support for R-MA continues after your lifetime.

  • A donor-advised fund: When you contribute to a donor-advised fund with appreciated securities, you may receive a federal income tax charitable deduction for the fair market value of the asset and eliminate capital gains tax. Because of our nonprofit status, R-MA does not pay capital gain tax when the Academy sells the gifted securities.

  • A memorial gift: If you have a friend or family member whose life has been touched by Randolph-Macon Academy, consider making a gift to the Academy in his or her name.

  • A charitable gift annuity: Funding a gift annuity with appreciated securities or mutual funds will not only provide you with reliable payments for life and allow you to support the Academy, but it can offer numerous financial benefits. First, your annuity payments are often more than the dividends you would receive each year from the securities. Second, you will receive a federal income tax charitable deduction (when you itemize) in the year the gift is made and eliminate part of the capital gains tax you would have paid if selling the securities.

  • A charitable remainder trust: Highly appreciated securities are one of the best ways to fund a charitable remainder trust. You may be reluctant to sell such assets directly because of the tax you would pay on the gain; however, if the assets were transferred to a charitable remainder trust, the assets can be sold without incurring the capital gains tax. The trustee can then reinvest the proceeds in order to secure a higher current income yield.

  • A charitable lead trust: Rapidly appreciating assets such as stocks are a great way to fund a charitable lead trust. The assets transferred to the lead trust are frozen in value for transfer-tax purposes at the time of funding. At the end of the trust’s term, all appreciation that takes place in the trust will pass tax-free to your heirs.


Retirement Assets

A gift of your retirement assets (IRA, 401(k), 403(b), pension or other tax-deferred plans) is an excellent way to make a gift. By making a gift of your retirement assets, you will help further our work. Here are a few ways you can give retirement assets:

You can give your retirement assets in your will: Did you know that 50%-60% of your retirement assets may be taxed if you leave them to your heirs at your death? Another option is to leave your heirs assets that receive a step-up in basis (such as real estate and stock) and give the retirement assets to our organization. As a charity, we are not taxed upon receiving an IRA or other retirement assets.

How to transfer your retirement assets: Your retirement assets may be transferred to us by completing a beneficiary designation form provided by your plan custodian. If you designate our organization as a beneficiary, we will benefit from the full value of your gift because your IRA assets will not be taxed at your death. Your estate will benefit from an estate tax charitable deduction for the gift.


Real Estate

A gift of your real property (such as your home, vacation property, vacant land, farmland, ranch, or commercial property) can make a great gift. If you own appreciated real property, you can avoid paying capital gains tax by making a gift to R-MA. You may also be able to receive a charitable income tax, and you will leave a lasting legacy at R-MA.

How you make a gift of real property: Your real property may be gifted to our organization by executing or signing a deed transferring ownership. You may deed part or all of your real property to our organization. Your gift will generally be based on the property’s fair market value, which must be established by an independent appraisal.

Can you make a gift of mortgaged property?: Please contact us if the property you wish to give has existing debt or a mortgage. Check with us on the capital gains tax implications of your gift. You may be interested in life income options described here.


A gift of your life insurance policy is an excellent way to make a gift to us.  If your life insurance policy is no longer needed or will no longer benefit your survivors, consider making a gift and help further our mission.

Make a gift of life insurance today: Did you know that you can give your life insurance policy to us today and receive a charitable income tax deduction? You can then make deductible contributions to us each year which we may use to pay the premiums. We benefit from the proceeds of your policy.

Designate R-MA as beneficiary of your policy: You can also designate us as the beneficiary of your life insurance policy. You will continue to own and can make use of the policy during your lifetime. The policy will be included in your taxable estate when you pass away, but your estate will benefit from an estate tax charitable deduction for the value of the gift to us.

If you have any questions about your gift of life insurance, please contact us at (540) 636-5485 or at advancement@rma.edu.


You can also contribute to R-MA via Boxtops for Education, AmazonSmile, or AmeriGas.

For Boxtops for Education, simply clip your boxtops and mail to the Parents Association, Randolph-Macon Academy, 200 Academy Drive, Front Royal, VA 22630.

If you are an Amazon user, please consider ordering through smile.amazon.com! Simply designate Randolph-Macon Academy as your charity and they will donate 0.5% of your purchase price to the R-MA Annual Fund at no additional cost to you.

R-MA also participates in the Amerigas School Days program. If you are an Amerigas customer, please send in your receipts to advancement@rma.edu. For every gallon shown on those receipts, R-MA will earn $0.02. It adds up quickly!


Next Steps

  1. Contact the Advancement Team at (540) 636-5485 or at advancement@rma.edu.
  2. Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
  3. If you include Randolph-Macon Academy in your giving plans, please use the Academy’s legal name and federal tax ID number.

Legal Name: Randolph-Macon Academy
Address: 200 Academy Drive, Front Royal, VA 22630
Federal Tax ID Number: 54-0505939