International Families: How to Apply

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

We are accepting applications for Summer 2020 and Fall 2020-21.

International Day is held each year, giving students the opportunity to showcase their cultures. It also acts as a fundraiser for the National Honor Society.

Applications will be reviewed on a space-available basis after our priority deadline. 

How does Randolph-Macon define "International student?"
An international student is any non-US citizen who needs a student visa to attend school in the United States.

How many International students attend Randolph-Macon Academy?
International students represent 30% of the student body. Our current students come from the Bahamas, Cambodia, China, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Korea, Taiwan, and Vietnam.

Is there a special International student application?
Yes. We highly encourage international students to apply online. Indicate that you are an international student when you begin the online application. You can also download the application.

Does the "School Record Report" apply to me?
Yes, a school official must send your official transcript, including courses in progress, along with the school report. You must send the originals as well as a translated copy.

Is there an application checklist I can use?
Yes. Here is a checklist that should be helpful. You must send us the following in order for an application to be considered complete:

  • International application
  • $125 nonrefundable application fee
  • A one-page essay (hand-written) on why you want to attend R-MA
  • Photo of yourself
  • Teacher Recommendation #1 and Teacher Recommendation #2
  • School Record Report/official transcripts (Explanations of courses are appreciated.)
  • Proof of English Profiency: Duolingo English Test 
  • Signed Guardian Agreement
  • Immunization records and birth certificate and/or passport.
  • Financial Statement
  • Interview: Once we receive your application an Admission Counselor will contact you to schedule an interview.  This can be in-person, or via video or telephone.  

Application process for international students at Randolph-Macon Academy. A private boarding and day school located in Front Royal, Virginia.

Do foreign applicants have deadlines?
Completed applications are due by February 1st, and families will be notified of the Admission Committee decision by March 1st. The signed enrollment form and $5,000 enrollment deposit will be due by April 1st.  Students who apply after February 1st  will only be accepted based on availability of space and applicant qualifications. 

Is there financial aid?
Financial aid is not available to international students.

Do I need to take the TOEFL Exam? 
Because core courses are taught in English, English proficiency is required. A TOEFL or TOEFL Jr score needs to be submitted with your application. The minimum TOEFL score for grade 9 is 54; grade 10 is 64. TOEFL school code is 5422.

Do I need to have a guardian based in the United States?
All international students must have a US residential guardian. The guardian must live within 200 miles of campus and be 25 years of age or older. Guardians must be available to accompany students to registration and take students during breaks (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Winter and Spring Break). A signed Guardian Agreement must be submitted with the application. 

Do I need medical insurance?
It is required that ALL students at R-MA have medical insurance and international students will automatically be signed up for medical insurance. The cost is covered in the tuition. If you have insurance that is accepted in the US, you must provide proof prior to registration. For more information on obtaining medical insurance through our school, please contact Brittany Zivic ( 540-636-5207).

Now that I have been accepted, what comes next?
Sign and return the student enrollment form that was sent with the acceptance letter along with the $5,000 enrollment deposit by the date that is listed on the acceptance letter. Once this information is received your I-20 will be issued.

Who can I contact for information?
To request information, schedule a visit, or for general questions about R-MA please contact or 1-540-636-5484.

If you are an international educational consultant, or a current applicant and have questions about your I-20 status or guardian requirements contact Pam Cole at or 1-540-631-3818.